Congratulations on choosing to study at NIC. We look forward to meeting you soon in Newcastle. Below are some practical suggestions to assist with your arrival in Australia.
Travel documents required upon entry
All students need to have the following documents ready to present to immigration officers when they arrive at the airport.
- Valid passport or other acceptable travel documents
- Valid visa or authority to enter Australia (including electronic visas)
- Completed and signed incoming passenger card, including health and character declaration
Other Important Information
It is advisable to carry the following documents with you when arriving in Australia and on your first day on campus.
- NIC details
- Accommodation details
- Guardian details (if you are under 18 years of age)
- Airport transfer details
- NIC Letter of Offer
- Copy of student visa
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Receipts of payments (tuition fees, OSHC)
- Scholarship letter (if applicable)
- Personal identification documents such as driver's licence or ID card
- Medical records or prescriptions
- The University of Newcastle campus map
Bring enough money to cover initial expenses such as food and transport. Currency exchange facilities are available at Sydney airport but not at Newcastle airport. Automatic Teller Machines are available in most locations and accept major international credit cards.
We recommend opening an Australian bank account for ready access. There is a bank on the campus for your convenience.
Newcastle has mild temperatures. The average temperatures are
- Summer: 18-25 degrees
- Autumn: 15-23 degrees
- Winter: 9-18 degrees
- Spring: 13-22 degrees
Have you arranged your accommodation? If not, please contact UON Student Living at firstname.lastname@example.org
Airport Pick Up
If arriving at Newcastle Airport:
- Newcastle has a domestic airport. When booking flights, you can get a connecting flight from Brisbane, Melbourne and Gold Coast to Newcastle. NIC offers complimentary airport transfer from Newcastle Airport to your accommodation. Please send us your flight details and address in Newcastle as soon as these are booked. For more information please email email@example.com.
If arriving at Sydney Airport:
- By Train
There are regular trains from Sydney Airport to Sydney Central Train Station. From Central Station, you can then change trains to go to Newcastle. For timetables, please visit www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/timetables. The total journey from International Airport Station to Hamilton Station in Newcastle takes 3 to 3.5 hours.
- By Shuttle Bus
NIC offers a complimentary airport shuttle service from Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport however there are limited departure times available and no service at night. If flying into Sydney, please email your flight ticket and drop off address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that Newcastle is approximately 150km north of Sydney. Do not attempt to take a taxi from Sydney Airport to Newcastle as it will be very expensive.
It is always a good idea to arrange the following before your departure.
- Have a thorough medical, optical and dental check-up.
- For all medicines that you are carrying, ensure that you have a prescription or written authorisation from your doctor, showing that the medicine is for treatment of your medical condition: www.tga.gov.au/travellers-visitors
- Ask your doctor to provide you with a letter detailing any relevant ongoing medical conditions which may require follow-up treatment while you are in Australia. (Have it translated into English if necessary.)
Doctors are available at the University of Newcastle.
- Newcastle Health Service
Level 1, Student Services Centre, Callaghan Campus
(02) 4921 6000
The Health Service is open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm. Appointments are necessary (except for emergencies) and are fifteen minutes long. If you think you need more time, please tell the receptionist when making your appointment. You can make an appointment to see a doctor or nurse either in person, or by phone.
FOR EMERGENCIES, PLEASE CALL 000
For students with OSHC Worldcare, please refer to their website to see what types of medical treatments are covered: oshcworldcare.com.au/ about_oshc.aspx#whatdoes