Welcome to Australia! We look forward to meeting you soon in Newcastle. Below are some practical suggestions to assist with your arrival in Australia.
Travel documents required upon entry
All students need to have the following documents ready to present to immigration officers when they arrive at the airport -
- valid passport
- valid visa or authority to enter Australia (including electronic visas)
- a completed and signed Incoming Passenger Card, including health and character declaration.
Documents required in your first week at NIC
It is advisable to carry the following documents with you when arriving in Australia and also on your first day on campus.
- NIC details
- Accommodation details
- Guardian details (if you are under 18 years of age)
- Airport Transfer details
- NIC Letter of Offer
- Copy of Student Visa
- Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Receipts of payments (tuition fees, OSHC)
- Scholarship letter (if applicable)
- Personal identification documents such as driver’s licence or ID card
- Medical records or prescriptions
- The University of Newcastle campus map
Bring enough money to cover initial expenses such as food and transport. Currency exchange facilities are available at Sydney airport but not at Newcastle airport. Automatic Teller Machines (ATM) are available in most locations and accept major international credit cards.
We recommend opening an Australian Bank Account to enable easy access to your money. There are two banks on the campus for your convenience.
Newcastle has mild temperatures. The average temperatures are:
Summer: 18 – 25 degrees
Autumn: 15 – 23 degrees
Winter: 9 – 18 degrees
Spring: 13 – 22 degrees
If you have not already arranged your accommodation, check out the Accommodation Page to read what options are available.
Airport Pick Up
Newcastle Airport is a domestic airport. If students would like to fly into Newcastle, this can be done via Brisbane (also Sydney or Melbourne). NIC will arrange for students to be picked up from the airport and taken to their accommodation free of charge.
A direct pick-up and transfer service is also available between Sydney Airport and Newcastle with Hunter Connection Shuttle. You can book this service online through the university website. NIC students are offered a special discount rate, simply provide your university student number when you book online.
It is always a good idea to arrange the following before your departure.
- Have a thorough medical, optical and dental check-up.
- For all medicines that you are carrying, ensure that you have a prescription or written authorization from your doctor, showing that the medicine is for the treatment of your medical condition. Check out the Government Website if you have any queries about medication in Australia.
- Ask your doctor to provide you with a letter detailing any relevant ongoing medical conditions which may require follow-up treatment while you are in Australia.
Doctors are available at the University of Newcastle. NIC staff can assist you if you require an appointment.
The Health Service is open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm. Appointments are necessary (except for emergencies) and are fifteen minutes long. If you think you need more time, please tell the receptionist when making your appointment. You can make an appointment to see a doctor or nurse either in person or by phone.
FOR EMERGENCIES, PLEASE CALL 000
For students with OSHC Worldcare, please refer to their website to see what types of medical treatments are covered.